What are the pros? grew fine, lovely colors
What are the cons? beware throat sensitivity
I'm reviewing these to warn that there are some people who suffer a very sore throat after eating these raw. They taste great, grew well, are beautiful to look at, and, from what I can tell, no problem for most people to eat. But I tried twice, and both times I ended up feeling like I had swallowed acid. The first time I thought it might be something besides the beet itself--something in my dirt? a fluke? But tonight, I tried a few bites again, and I had the same reaction. Research on the internet showed that some people have the same reaction, especially to this particular variety of beet. So it wasn't just me. I'm kind of relieved to see I'm not a freak, but also sad that I can't eat these beautiful beets. Just be aware that some people are sensitive to them, and the burning is severe and no fun. (Not like a hot pepper burning, more like an acid burn.) Love Baker's Creek though! So far, loving the plants I'm growing from my first order with them.
Would you recommend this product to a friend?