How To Grow and Save Seed Of Toothache Plant
Latin name Spilanthes oleracea is an annual member of the aster family. An excellent bedding or container plant. This interesting flower has the ability to numb the mouth when chewed.
Native to South America, flowers contain spilanthol, a natural plant-based chemical that has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is considered a helpful remedy for canker sores, and to disinfect wounds.
- Beds, borders, containers, hanging baskets
- Flowers and leaves can be enjoyed as a pleasantly numbing treat
- Seeds germinate in 5-7 days.
- Start indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date, then transplant out after last frost date, or direct sow after last frost has passed.
- Ideal germination temperature is 70-78 F.
- Prefers full sun.
- Provide well-drained soil.
- Space plants 12-18 inches apart.
- A pest- and disease-free plant.
- Allow the flowerhead containing the seeds to completely mature and dry on the plant, then clip off the flowerhead and place in a container.
- Working over the top of another clean, opened container, rub the flowerheads to separate the seeds.
- Store over winter in a cool, dark, dry place.